Refuge of Allis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deptimaya / Voluspa

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Deptimaya / Voluspa - Page 2 Empty Re: Deptimaya / Voluspa

Post by Frostwander Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:54 pm

Pyza sat back on her chair again as Raenn and Bjorka unfolded their request. For all her energy, she sat quite still and listened intently, taking note of the serious turn of their expressions and tone. She nodded in acknowledgement as they explained the Voluspan interest in the tree. Obviously it was important to them.

When there was an obvious pause for her response, Pyza took a deep breath, thinking back on her own excitement when first discovering the tree. She took another breath before saying, "I can definitely see the interest of your people in the Golden Tree. I could immediately tell that it was important when I was guided there. Even aside that it's the most beautiful thing we've discovered so far in this world, I can tell there's a sort of ... holiness. There is as much tranquility as energy there.

"We certainly have no wish to keep the tree only for ourselves. While we gather the leaves as blessings from our Creators, we will not be restricting access to Surya Tevana for any who approach with good intentions. A settlement has already been founded around the tree in an outer ring. The tree and its ground is at the center, left unbuilt upon to preserve its condition as we found it."

Pyza stood, pacing side-to-side as she considered and spoke. "The tree does not seem to need a great deal of tending, and we want to be careful not to change its environment. Dewna told me of the ceremony that she witnessed with your own Havamal, though she said that the grove of the Golden Tree had a different atmosphere to it when she was there. Is that what you mean by enshrining?"
Frostwander
Frostwander

Back to top Go down

Post by Skjaeren Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:58 pm

The Voluspan representatives seemed happy to learn about the gnomes' treatment of the Golden Tree and its surroundings thus far, smiling and nodding sagely at Pyza's telling of how the tree felt.
"Y...yes." Bjorka answered. "The enshrining ceremony of an elder treant is both to honor their life up to that point, and to honor their connection to the Life Tree. It enables, and consents to them serving as a conduit of their wisdom, and the power which comes from Vardtrad. For an older tree like this, it would be ... somewhat like inviting the tree to share any wisdom that it has waiting for us, and paying respect to the time it has spent growing without us."

Raenn contributed "It's a relief to hear that you're taking such care to preserve the peace and space around the tree, that you appreciate preserving the same atmosphere that it already prefers. Most of the time back in Allis, trees old enough to be Vardtradgren would sleep ... nearly all the time. They very rarely would wake to ask that things be a certain way, so we would try to not make changes to their groves without their permission. When I helped at Havamal's ceremony, I know he asked me to help me make peace with the fact that I wouldn't be hearing him much more, but I feared I wouldn't hear him again at all. I'm pleased that he still wakes and speaks aloud now and then."

His companion spoke again, picking up where he left off. "Er, treants have an easier time hearing the Vardtradgren while they are asleep. At least, the Vardtradgren of Voluspa, who are elder treants slowing into trees. Perhaps it's because of how similar in nature we still are. Our little ones can seldom hear them the same way we do, but they meditate upon them anyway, and some of them do derive wisdom from their visits. Raenn has had a connection with Havamal Vardtradgren for many years, and until we left, he would still diligently visit."

"The enshrining isn't necessarily something we should rush to do, as long as you are in no hurry, and do not feel you need the tree's divine protection. We might suggest it as an honorific part of your village's integration with the Golden Tree's grove, but it might be best to allow both of our peoples to meditate on the tree's nature and see if we can learn anything from it before jumping to assumptions. We merely wish to offer our aid if you decide to pay homage to the tree."

The two of them, it became obvious, had grown into continuing each other's thoughts. Raenn spoke again. "There's also the unfortunate matter of military concerns. We've had sightings along our western border of strange, monster-like hybrids of people and animals. Our villagers there said that the ones they saw acted savagely, fighting among themselves to assert authority, with the leader hording some kind of valuables from the rest. We've also heard whispers and our seer seen glimpses of a horrible war to the northeast, between goblins and lizardfolk. We're learning that this new world may be as fickle as Allis, with some folk who are friendly, and some who seek only to take things selfishly. Many of our people are concerned that the Golden Tree, well, having literal leaves of gold, might attract pirates, bandits, or worse. We know that our cultures have only just met earlier this year, and so I'm not sure if we've yet earned such trust from you or your people. But we wanted to ask if you might let us help you defend it, in case the worst sort of folk should be drawn to it by rumor or greed."
Skjaeren
Skjaeren

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostwander Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:38 pm

"Hmm, I agree that enshrining isn't something that should be rushed into. Especially if it's to honor the tree's life so far ... we barely know anything about that. It would be like trying to write a book about someone you've only just met. Your people are definitely welcome to come join ours in learning about the tree, though."

Pyza stopped pacing, and grew more serious at the mention of military concerns. She stood for a moment where she was, as if frozen, and then turned to face away from the two. "I understand your concern for the tree's safety. We have also had rumors and vague sightings of dangerous creatures in our lands and nearby."

The Voice took a deep breath, and for a moment sounded as if she were repeating something she'd been taught. "The world is not always kind and uplifting and beautiful. Sometimes it cruel and destructive. To preserve the former, we have to fight the latter."

Pyza turned back, "If you think something might try to harm the tree, we definitely want to know. I do not make any decisions alone about military or defenses, though, Sunda and I always discuss those together. Do you mind if I send for him?"
Frostwander
Frostwander

Back to top Go down

Post by Skjaeren Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:17 pm

"Not at all." Bjorka answered. "We didn't want to disturb him in the middle of construction, but we understand that as leaders of your people, it's best that you ensure you are of one mind on such things."

Raenn silently nodded his agreement.
Skjaeren
Skjaeren

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostwander Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:42 pm

"I'm sure it won't hurt the temple work for him to be away one evening. Not like they won't know where to find him, anyway!" Pyza walked to the side of the room and reached for a rope hanging by a painting. She paused, apparently thinking better of it, and instead walked out onto the balcony at the back of the room. She leaned over the low rail, looked around for a moment, and then yelled, "Pada! Pada, up here!"

Whoever it was she'd yelled at apparently looked up, because Pyza waved, and then yelled, "Could you go down to the temple and ask Sunda to come here?" She waved again, and the hopped back down and into the room.

"I'm sure he'll be along in a few minutes. Do you need some more water? Or is there anything else you'd like to talk about while we wait? "
Frostwander
Frostwander

Back to top Go down

Post by Skjaeren Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:22 am

The two of them looked to one another for a moment. "Aside from some minor trade nuances and ideas for involving our cultures, not particularly. Nothing pressing anyway." Raenn said. "It's been quite a while since I've seen canvas paintings like this. These are quite lovely. Are all the ones in here your work?"
Skjaeren
Skjaeren

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostwander Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:36 am

The mention of the paintings brought back some of Pyza's previous cheer. "Most of them! A few of them belong to my students. I keep them up here so we can see their progress in techniques."

The gnome pointed out several of the paintings discussing them in some detail and talking about the gnomes who painted them. After a short while, another gnome entered. He wore robes of dark blue, and walked with a tall (for him) metal rod. He had short black hair, and a trim beard that blended to his sideburns.

"Miss Snowligh, what is ... oh, you have guests. If I'd known, I would have come more quickly." He turned to the two visitors and bowed low. "I am Sunda Stasreid, Voice of the Sculptor."

"Sunda! Let me introduce ..."

Pyza made introductions for Raenn and Bjorka to Sunda, and summarized the conversation. He listened with a welcoming smile, though his eyebrows creased at the mention of the military concerns. "I see. What else can you tell us about this?"
Frostwander
Frostwander

Back to top Go down

Post by Skjaeren Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:36 pm

Raenn and Bjorka both stood as he bowed, and made their bow like greeting in return.

As they sat back down and listened to Pyza recounting their conversation, they exchanged another knowing look, and a nod. They did not quite have the ability to communicate without speaking, but when they both noticed the same thing at the same time, they often knew.

Bjorka answered first. "We don't have any information on a specific threat against you or the tree, thankfully. But the creatures we encountered so far... had a sort of supernatural intelligence and ... might have been possessed by a spirit of some kind, according to Aldre Mormor. She's the one who got to observe them most closely, and she's not easily so flustered. But so far, there have been no more sightings of them, favorable or otherwise."

Raenn interjected. "We're hoping that they're a lone band of roaming pirates on the outer sea, not necessarily representing their whole race or nation. But the visions of our seer and Havamal's whispers incline us to believe that they are not the only threats we have to worry about."

"As for what we can offer in the way of aid, we've brought with us enough supplies and lumber to build a small watch outpost, and we've nearly 200 volunteers here and back home who'd be willing to come help watch over the tree and your village of Surya Tevana if you'll allow it. We'd like to build nearby, as a sort of pilgrim stop, but also as a defensible location in case we should need it. I understand that you have protectors as well, "Shepherds" correct? They'd be more than welcome to share use of the outpost, since it'd be in your territory."
Skjaeren
Skjaeren

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostwander Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:01 am

Sunda and Pyza seemed quite relieved to hear that the Voluspans did not bring news of a specific threat. They both appeared more relaxed after that, though the tone was kept serious. Sunda asked that Bjorka and Raenn please excuse them for a few minutes, and they left them in the room while the gnomes adjourned briefly to Sunda's office to discuss the matter privately. Another gnome came by in the meantime to bring more water for the diplomats, along with a large tray of freshly baked bread, cold milk, and sweet fruit preserves.

It was a little while later when the two Voices returned. Pyza spoke up first, "We appreciate your offer of assistance, as friends of our people, to be sure that we as your neighbors are safe. It's good to know that our neighbors care. We'd like to discuss the construction and placement of your proposed outpost in more detail."

Sunda spread a wide roll of cloth out on the desk to display a map of the area near the Golden Tree. "Given the purpose of such an outpost, it would need to be fairly close by, to send aid should any crisis arise. And preferably somewhere on the side of the village toward your own lands, for ease of access and travel.

"Additionally, we do wish to avoid any misconception that we are not capable of acting in our own defense. The Creators have afforded us strength for when it is needed, should a conflict arise. Sharing in the maintenance and watch at the outpost would allow both of our peoples a chance to learn cooperation."

Sunda gestured to the map, indicating some possible locations to the south or southwest of Surya Tevana. "Tell me more about your ideas, and we can work out details of design and location."

----

Deptimaya offers for Voluspa to construct an outpost in the hex to the south or southwest of Surya Tevana and the Golden Tree. Deptimaya will contribute 2 gold to assist with the cost of upkeep for the first four turns - discussion of later upkeep may be opened in the future. Each faction will contribute 100 troops to the garrison, with decisions to be made jointly on any deployment.
Frostwander
Frostwander

Back to top Go down

Post by Skjaeren Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:02 am

Raenn leaned over the desk without standing up to point out a few locations while Bjorka watched and listened. Logistics and tactics were not as much her forte. "Hmm, we do tend to prefer to build in the woods, but the woods also give natural defenses from the southwest, while the approach toward the village from the south has less cover. Lookouts would be able to see farther. The outpost might do more good there, and we can still set up in the edges of the woods to avoid drawing unnecessary attention."

"As for the building of it, we've brought all the materials we'd need, but it would be much more convenient to supply the post from Deptimaya than to burden the caravans with carrying everything the post needs. If you want to help with the maintenance of the outpost, that would be quite welcome, and would definitely demonstrate a more equal contribution to the Golden Tree's defense."

----

Voluspa counter-offers to construct the outpost in the hex south of Surya Tevana. Veluspa will build the outpost, but requests that Deptimaya consider contributing the full cost (4 gold) of upkeep for the first four turns. Each faction will contribute 100 troops to the garrison, and would cooperate on military efforts or deployment involving the outpost. Volupsa retains ownership of the outpost.
Skjaeren
Skjaeren

Back to top Go down

Post by Frostwander Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:21 pm

The logistics of the construction and placement of the outpost occupied the conversation for the next few hours. Mostly it consisted of Raenn and Sunda discussing matters of supply, terrain, and strategy, while Pyza and Bjorka occasionally chimed in with a small detail.

It was a little after sunset when they concluded, and Pyza had lit the lamps around the room. Sunda finished taking down the details of the plan in his neat, methodical handwriting, and after signing it passed the quill to Raenn. He leaned back in his chair and gave a small sigh at the stiffness in his back.

"I might stop by to watch some of the construction. I haven't had the opportunity to leave Exodus since the foundation of the Twins' Temple was laid, and could use a good stretch of the legs."

----
Deptimaya agrees to the Voluspan offer. Construction may begin at Voluspa's discretion.
Frostwander
Frostwander

Back to top Go down

Post by Skjaeren Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:58 pm

Raenn took the quill and signed his name on the paper. "We'd love to have your architectural insight. Perhaps when we all have more time, we can look at the ruins of the old temple in Grimnismal together as well."

"Or at the sketches of them. We brought drawings." Bjorka chimed in.

"It's been a pleasure meeting both of you, and working together today." Raenn added, stretching his own shoulders.

As they departed to rest and make preparations, Bjorka thoughtfully said "Are we going to give this outpost a name?"

"Well, unless the Deptimayans object, I was thinking we might name it Birch Branch. They've been saying the Golden Tree resembles a birch tree, it seems fitting. Would you prefer something else?" he asked, as though just remembering that his companion was also a birch treant.

She thought for a moment. "No. I don't mind."
Skjaeren
Skjaeren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2