Refuge of Allis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Asselia

2 posters

Go down

New Asselia Empty New Asselia

Post by Ravigen Wed May 13, 2015 8:16 pm

The city was in shambles, this much was to be expected, after such a long, drawn out journey and a quick construction, many buildings were still being constructed and even now the people of Asselia were acclimating to their new home, the looming mountains were a familiar comfort and the river the city stood beside was good for fishing and the citizens seemed to enjoy swimming in the river for their own enjoyment, so some good could be taken from that.

The Asselian Imperial Palace for what it was, was in the middle of the city, the palace had been set up as one of the last 'vital' structures, if only so as to give the people a sense of hope, that they were finally attaining a sense of safety and community for which Artas was grateful, the journey here had been long and filled with danger, thousands had died during the long journey from their old home to this new one, Ilalu's grace had saved them from dying countless times in the wilderness and even now it felt like the Goddess was right beside her, a feeling she hadn't felt since the opening of the portal and one time before that.

The Asselian people had been tormented by the other kingdoms of Allis and Artas was not fool enough to think that her people were the only ones lucky enough to have been saved like this, undoubtedly nations from the old world had come here as well.

Asselia would not fall again.

The discovery of a gold mine in the nearby mountains had provided them with a solid source of funds to expand their growth, the Asselian training regimen would provide the greatest soldiers they could make a solid core of elites that would protect the people of Asselia from all threats.

And everyone was a threat, Asselia had been repeatedly invaded, assailed, threatened by those who had played along as allies, there was no safety with others, She would not make that mistake again, she wanted no business with other nations, simply to be left in peace for her people to thrive and this time there would be no forgiveness for those who threatened the people of Asselia.

Artas believed in protecting her people above all else, she had to consider what was beneficial to Asselia first and foremost, too long had they been tormented from being too generous, getting too involved.

For the moment, isolation was best.

The Council chamber was mostly empty at this time of day, save for Artas and Rania, the Empress and Paladin had been pouring over maps all morning and as noon approached they were both still hard at work.

"We're still constructing housing at the outer edge of the district, we're almost done but we still have a number of people in tents, scouts have reported a mostly clear surrounding, a few bandits and the occasional wandering monster but they're isolated and easily dealt with. Still...still no sign of Orleas." Rania said, hesitating at the last part, Orleas had been lost in the migration to this new world, it was somewhere here but a mystical wind had carried the blade away shortly after they had arrived here.

Artas sighed, massaging her temple, it was weird having the full functionality of her body again, she had been crippled for so long it was odd to be able to train and exercise like she used to. She ran a hand through her blond hair, something she'd noticed becoming a habit as late, it was soothing with the ever mounting problems her people were facing.

"Tell them to keep searching, we need to find it as soon as possible. That blade is important." she said quickly, Rania nodding with each word, writing down her orders on parchment, the tall woman still towered over Artas, even sitting as she was but she hardly held it against the other woman, she was unquestionably loyal and devoted and Artas appreciated the loyalty.

"Your Majesty, I also have reports from Commander Orlen, two regiments have begun their training, they'll be ready to go soon enough."

Artas nodded, leaning back in her chair, grabbing the mug of ale the servants have left for her, "Excellent, make sure he has everything he needs to get them trained.

There were still threats in the world, and she had her people to protect.

Ravigen

Back to top Go down

New Asselia Empty Re: New Asselia

Post by Ravigen Wed May 13, 2015 10:10 pm

Loran dreamed

The world was shifting around him, cities and villages formed and shattered, armies fought and died and it was incomprehensible, vaguely he could recognize little of what he saw, only the vaguest impression of familiarity.

It was mind-numbing and every second that went by he thought he would surely wake up from the pain, you didn't feel pain in your dreams. He felt himself sink to his knees, hands clutching his hair as he tried to comprehend what he was seeing and not go completely mad.

Eventually the swirling mass of images slowly began to subside and the pounding in his head vanished, on shaky legs, and he wasn't going to think about how his legs were in pain while he was dreaming, that was a metaphysical issue he was not up to contemplating.

He was on the edge of a mountain, probably closer to the base if the gentle incline was anything to go by, there were still plenty of trees and grass that indicated that he wasn't at a very high altitude quite yet, the soil was still good here.

"Well, might as well start walking."

Ten minutes in and he was convinced someone was messing with him, the trail behind him closed up, trees and rocks shifted to clear his path forward all without ruining the mountainside and he was certain the wind was changing to constantly be at his back. But that was alright, he could work with this, he just had to follow the path, figure out where it lead and go from there, easily done.

Except. he stopped and sighed, taking a look around the changing foliage with a critical eye.

"Awfully quiet though, pity, I always did like the sound of nature." In the distance a wolf howled, birds chirped and he swore he could here a cow in the distance. He couldn't help but chuckle.

"Alright then, can I get a good sword and a beautiful princess to rescue?" He looked around, no sword, no villain to slay, no princess to rescue, he chuckled.

"Ah, that's a pity, well then want to tell me where I am?" Because he was really, really, lost.

"I think I can answer that, my child." A new voice, firm but gentle, one he'd heard at the edge of consciousness for more than a decade now, he turned to face the newcomer, but he already knew what he was going to see and he was hardly disappointed, she was beautiful, skin of ivory but built like a warrior, long flaming red hair, literally, and eyes as dark as coal. Regal armor with black trims and a sword at her hip, her features were stern but he couldn't miss the slight amused turn of her lips.

"I am not a 'princess' but I think that I will suffice?" He wasn't sure how to respond to that.

"Milady, I'm honored." He knelt, better to be reverential and not risk a smiting, he was rather unsure how one treated a Goddess, a surprisingly feminine laugh, and a hand rested on his cheek, he shivered, she'd never been this upfront before, there was something about this world, the veil between the mortal and divine had weakened and she was making herself known much more than she used to.

"Stand, child, you are my blessed chosen, you need not kneel before me, I have been watching over you your whole life, always with you but only here can I see you in person." Her fingers stroked along his cheek to his hair, ruffling it fondly, slowly he stood, not even sure what to say.

"Milady, I'm honored, but why have you brought me here?" Her demeanor changed, features twisting into a truly terrifying scowl, her hair igniting even further, whipping around her with seemingly little pattern.

"Your enemy still lives, still breathes, his power has grown, you can not be complacent there is no room for error, VENGEANCE MUST BE HAD!" He flinched back as her rage ignited, fire streaming around her, twisting away from him and scorching the land around him.

"Prepare yourselves, the time to destroy our enemy is soon at hand, war comes to Asselia again My Chosen, you must not fail."

"Now awaken child, you have a long path ahead of you." The world shifted and Loran shot out of bed, panting and sweating as the dawn light filtered through the window.

Ravigen

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon May 25, 2015 2:48 pm

I Dream of gods

Loren didn't know when he had become aware he was dreaming. Everything seemed so real, and yet now that he thought about it, it was far too absurd to be life. Somehow he was standing upon a great pool of water which shone like a mirror. Yet there were no waves, and he walked upon it with only the tiniest ripples. Above him, a great, golden wheel spun slowly. It was etched with strange, glowing runes and images that seemed to change as it moved.

And below the wheel was a strange figure sitting upon an enormous stone throne (it didn't occur to Loren to question the dream-logic of a stone seat jutting out of the water). The being looked human, but a tall and strong human in shining robes. Light seemed to emanate from him.

"Behold the wheel of balance, young elf." The being spoke, and its voice boomed. The ground rippled in waves when he spoke, and there no no doubt this was a being of great power. "I am Antarus, god of Justice and Balance.

"Long ago my people were betrayed and destroyed by your kinsmen - fallen elves of a nation called Weywyn. Now these accursed people have escaped justice again and fled to this new land. They skulk here in the shadows, hiding just out of my sight.

"You who understand betrayal and justice, I ask for your assistance. Strike down my foes and I shall assist you will all my power."

------------------------------
The god's Offer
The wayward god Antarus has appeared before Loren and offered him a deal: hunt down and strike at the Weywyn elves and he will reward them. He claims that Weywyn betrayed his people in a distant time, but gods are seldom trustworthy.

Accept the Offer
Strike at these traitors who have betrayed another, for we understand the price of betrayal.
-- Antarus will grant 12 Divinity to Ilalu immediately
-- New Asselia must find and strike the Weywyn elves within 5 turns, or Antarus will consider the promise broken and become an enemy.
-- If Weywyn is destroyed, Antarus will teach Ilalu a new power.

Make a Token Effort
We might be able to divert a raiding party, or provide diplomatic pressure...
-- Antarus grants Ilalu 4 Divinity immediately.
-- If New Asselia raids or uses espionage to harm Weywyn within the next 6 turns, Antarus will grant 4 more Divinity.
-- New Asselia must not trade or make alliances with Weywyn or anyone allied with Weywyn for the next 6 turns, or Antarus will consider the deal broken and become an enemy.

Politely Decline
While we sympathize with his goals, we have our own problems to deal with.
-- Antarus departs to find other allies. No change.

Ally with Weywyn
Perhaps these elven kinfolk will help us strike at our own enemies.
-- If New Asselia allies with Weywyn, Antarus becomes an enemy

Admin
Admin

https://refugeofallis.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravigen Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:01 pm

Sache Sarrik waited, she was used to that, she'd been doing it for decades, at this point it had become an art form, akin to breathing now, the tavern was crowded and loud and all too easy for her to stay unnoticed in her corner, the hood she wore pulled down in such a way as to hide her face from view, but not obstruct her view of the patrons made it so much easier to just watch people, hear the gossip and hidden conversations without alerting them that they were being watched.

It also served as a useful deterrent from anyone who might wish to speak with her, no one ever liked dealing with the hooded and cloaked woman in the corner. She'd been here for an hour now, had already ate a small bit of bread and cheese and had a mostly untouched mug of ale next to her, more to give the illusion of activity than anything else.

Four days of investigation was leading up to this, skulking and sneaking and just waiting for him to slip up, to reveal his location and get careless. And now it was time, her target was at the counter, a mere twenty feet from her.

His name was Jarrik, he was tall, standing at six foot and three inches, broad shouldered with sandy blonde hair, he was a miner at the nearby village, a father of three sons and a convicted rapist on the run. He was also an idiot stopping in Arsun to get a drink, perhaps he thought he wouldn't get caught.

Whatever the reasoning he died tonight, she was going to let him have his fill and then she would kill him, a last meal so to speak. She was a ranger and she had a duty.

She didn't have to wait too much longer as Jarrik stood on shaky feet, unsteady from the ale and seemingly ready to depart to find an inn for the night.

He wouldn't make it that far, she waited thirty seconds then stood and followed, heading for the door to follow him, no one commented on her passing and she paid them no heed as she exited into the streets, Jarrik had gone right so she went left, she knew these streets better than he did and as she slipped through the alleyways, through the throngs of people heading home under the light of the descending sun. She vaulted over a fence and kept up her walk, the dagger at her belt felt heavier and heavier though it was a comforting weight, the pounding of her heart was from excitement, the thrill of dispensing justice.

She had no illusions about herself, she loved killing, loved it so much and this was why she had joined the rangers to become and instrument of justice, focusing her bloodlust on the enemies of Asselia on criminals and the scum who deserved it and not the innocent. She was a pointed blade, hungry for blood and focused in mind and body to kill.

She could feel her target nearby, a sixth-sense that guided her steps and kept her moving, the corner up ahead it would work nicely, she did not speed up, no matter how much she may have wanted to, her heart was pounding so loud in her ears now, the ba-thump, ba-thump drowned out the sounds of animals, the wind, the people, all she could hear was the beating heart.

And the footsteps, uneven, disordered, slow and ragged, closer and closer they came. she waited, counted to five felt the adrenaline surge as she reached around the corner, grabbing Jarrik by his ragged shirt and yanked him into the alley. He stumbled easily, still trying to make sense of the change when she slammed a hand over his mouth, silencing his cries, a swift motion plunged the dagger into his heart even as she kicked out his legs from under him and shifted him into a better position, just a drunk who'd fallen asleep in the alley.

She was gone in an instant, her work done for the night.

Ravigen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravigen Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:17 pm

Footsteps, beating like drums echoed through the city as they marched, line by line of elves in fine armour and weaponry, behind them formations of archers with their bows held at the ready followed. It was hardly necessary there was no war to go to but the drills were good for keeping them in shape, the Asselians held pride in their army, a force of professionals who trained day in and day out to be the strongest force Allis would know, hardships and trials had honed their resolve to perfection.

Each company carried their banners proudly, great flags emblazoned with shields, bears, wolves, and even dragons. The symbol of the old empire reforged into the new. Asselia would not fall so easily again.

Artas Orleans led the procession with the calm serenity of one who lived and breathed soldiery. Another set of drills to keep the troops honed, this time though there would be a bigger purpose to their march, a new iron mine was being constructed and Artas would see the new settlers safely to their destination alongside helping with the construction. The troops could use the workout, marching to the site.

Her son was in Forgehall, probably endlessly studying and asking question after question, he'd be driving the goblin scholars to joy with his earnestness or perhaps frustration, he was so unlike her in that regard, she focused on her people first and foremost and held little affection or interest for the works and culture of other peoples beyond how it affected her people. Perhaps cruel but she'd been betrayed and tortured far too much to put anything but her people first, she still carried the scars of her crippling even if her body was no longer crippled.

Loran was more naïve than her, too caught up in the potential to learn that he never considered the ramifications of what he did. A remnant of a world where one could afford to not worry though she feared such times would change.

Asselia would not fall again, the mantra repeated, never again.

Ravigen

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:40 am

Earth crunched under Sarrik's boots. Small rocks shifted and fell down the slope. Up ahead was some poor excuse for a cave - a mere slit in the mountain where one slab overhung another. Sarrik didn't need tracking skills to tell his quarry was inside: the entire area smelled of acid that made his eyes water, and the stones around the "cave" itself were worn and pocked. He gestured for the rangers to remain where they were and then approached himself, cautiously.

As his eyes came level with the lip of the cave he saw his quarry: a massive, scaled lizard nestling in the back of the cave, the torn rags and bones of unfortunate travelers around it. Its mouth dripped with burning acid that pooled around it in a deadly trap. The caustic fluid would make fighting the beast deadly within its small lair. Shooting it would probably cause it to climb into some deeper crevice - no, he'd have to think of a way to get it out of the cave.

A glint caught his eye. Careful not to alarm the beast he shifted to the left, he strained to peak around its huge forearm. There he saw some more rags, as well as a glistening amulet of some valuable metal. And a sword, somehow unharmed by the acid dripping around it.

-----------------------------------------------------
The Acidic beast
The strange lizard beast has somehow acquired the sacred sword, Orleans, probably by eating its last caretaker. If the area is to be colonized and the sword reclaimed, it must be slain. But the beast is holed up in a tight crevice filled with acid fumes. Somehow it must be lured out and killed.

Use food
Throw together a create pile of meat and food, then ambush the beast when it comes to feed. Perhaps the meat could even be poisoned, although it is unlikely any poison can survive its acid.
-- Spend 3 Food on a trap to kill the beast.
-- Poison may kill the beast
-- Otherwise, you have an advantage ambushing it unaware.

Smoke it out
Start a large fire and fan the flames into the cave, suffocating the beast. If there's another passage in the cave it might escape though, or it might come out fighting and desperate.
-- Small chance of beast escaping
-- The beast is forced out of the cave, but is violent and ready to fight, making it dangerous and difficult to kill.

Collapse the Exterior
Collapse the cave's exterior and wait for it to starve to death.
-- Small chance of beast escaping
-- Wait 2-4 turns to make sure it starves to death.

Sneak in while it's out
I'm sure we can find someone who can survive the putrid fumes, puddles of caustic acid, sharp and uneven rocks and horrid stench long enough to steal the sword.
-- Low chance of success
-- Beast is still alive and threatens nearby resources

Admin
Admin

https://refugeofallis.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravigen Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:14 am

Sarrik returned to the army as quickly and quietly as she could, heart racing, that was Orleas, she was sure of it, the holy blade had been found. That beast would need to be dealt with first but she was confident her rangers and the paladins could manage it.

The encampment they'd set up a few miles from the village was already set up and posted with sentries telling to the efficiency and dedication of the men and women under her command, she knew they'd have the best shot of ambushing the beast.

That was why she'd assembled the captains of the regiments and given them strict orders. The rangers were to continue observing the cave, watching for the beast's movement while the paladins set up the ambush. They would gather food from the nearby village and lay it out close to the cave, drawing the beast out where the ambush would be waiting for them.

The rangers would strike the beast with their bows while the Paladins moved in and cut the beast down with their swords, the holy blade had to be reclaimed, she could see the conviction in their eyes, they were just as dedicated as her and that was as it should be.

Use food
Throw together a create pile of meat and food, then ambush the beast when it comes to feed. Perhaps the meat could even be poisoned, although it is unlikely any poison can survive its acid.
-- Spend 3 Food on a trap to kill the beast.
-- Poison may kill the beast
-- Otherwise, you have an advantage ambushing it unaware

Ravigen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down